There are many actions the District can take to support affordable housing. I call on the D.C. government to take some very specific steps:
- Increase funding for Limited Equity Housing Cooperatives
- At least double funding for the Housing Production Trust Fund
- Strengthen rent control laws
- Build more public housing
- Finalize the rules for the District Opportunity to Purchase Act, a law the District has on the books that can protect and expand affordable housing
Currently around the Congress Heights Metro, a coalition of developers is working to gentrify the surrounding community at the expense of current residents. I support these tenants in their fight!